Sunday, October 5th , 2014
We invite you to attend the 12th annual Collegeville Colors event on Sunday, October 5th from 1-4pm. This family event is open to the public to enjoy the beautiful fall colors and lakes on the campus of Saint John's near Saint John's Preparatory School (grades 6-12). It will take place rain or shine!
Two hiking trails will be available; the "Kids Loop and the Chapel Loop." The Kids Loop is approx. 1.5 miles, while the "Chapel Loop" is approxshorter trail, approximately 2 miles. Both will be filled with a variety of age-appropriate activities for kids, including:
The "Kids Loop"
- Activities by Saint John’s Outdoor U include bark and leaf rubbing, exploring interesting flora and fauna from local area
- Camoflage Critters and face painting
- Learning about fractal geometry and how this is exhibited in nature - Believe it or not, math is all around us, especially in nature. Come learn about one of math’s greatest iterations – fractals! This activity is fun for all ages. You will learn about fractals and how they are used to study our environment. Take a step further and get step-by-step instructions on how to make your own iterations. Then, as you walk the trails, try to find these beautiful patterns in the trees above you.
- Observe wheel-thrown pottery demonstration by Jenna Pollard
- Get up close and personal with some reptiles and amphibians with MN Herpetological Society
- Come see and touch animal tracks and learn how to tell who else is in the woods
- Create some fun and easy nature crafts wtih the AKS Service Sorority from CSB
The "Chapel Loop"
The Chapel Loop is also very popular, as it follows the shores of Lake Sagatagan, to to the beautifully restored Stella Maris Chapel. This trail is approximately 2 miles roundtrip and will include the following activities:
- Keep your eyes and ears open for surprise performances and activities along the way.
- Hear poetry by Larry Shug and contribute to the Collegeville Colors Interactive Poem.
- The “Ever-Changing Canvas Painting” – add your personal touch to the painting; located at the chapel.
- Hike back along the “back-side” of the loop to experience the magnificent Collegeville Colors from within the forest.
- See how Liz Dwyer from Dancing the Land Farm creates clothing and other products using felting
- Help restore oak forests here & central MN by collecting acorns that will be used to grow new trees!
- Be sure to bring along your scavenger hunt from the Outdoor U info table…and return for a prize!
- The Saint John's Prep School's Chamber Choir will perform at the chapel at 2:00.
Back at the fields below the Prep School, you can warm up to a bowl of "bouja," served with the famous Johnny Bread, sliced apples with caramel and a variety of refreshments. The bouja will be served at approx. 2:00.
While you are enjoying the bouja and other treats, we invite you to relax and enjoy the conversation with others. At the same time, there will be a variety of entertainment and activities nearby, including:
- Face painting
- Receive your name written in a variety of languages by members of The World Club at Saint John's Prep
- A variety of folk, rock, and bluegrass music performed all day around the campfire and on the trails
- The Saint John’s Prep School World Club, German Club and Chinese Club will have a variety of games, music and activities
- Face painting!
- Like to be outside? Learn how you can help CSB/SJU become a national champion in the Outdoor Nation Campus Challenge!
- Food/beverages served from 1:30-4pm or until depleted.
Ticket price is $10/adult, $5 for kids age 4-17, children 3 and under are free.
Online registration is now closed. However, tickets may be purchased at the registration table, which is located in the main entrance of the Prep School, on the day of the event.
Additional Important Information:
As much as we love animals, no pets are allowed on campus or at this event. Also, bikes are not permitted on the trails. The event will take place rain or shine!
2014 Supporters of Collegeville Colors include:
- Our proud Prep Parents! Click here to register online to volunteer at the event.
- Saint John's Outdoor University
- Leighton Broadcasting
- Collegeville Orchards